Daily news summary
CNET News 14 hours 21 min ago
- Equifax may have suffered a data breach several months before the date it disclosed earlier this month for the massive hack that exposed the personal financial information for roughly half the US population.
- But it denied the March incident was related to the massive hack revealed earlier this month.
- "Equifax complied fully with all consumer notification requirements related to the March incident," an Equifax spokesperson said in a statement.
- A pair of influential US senators have sent a letter to Equifax CEO Rick Smith demanding details about the hack, including information about when authorities and board members were informed of the hack.
- On Friday, the company said Chief Security Officer Susan Mauldin and Chief Information Officer David Webb would be "retiring," effective immediately.
CNET News 16 hours 56 min ago
- Streaming device maker Roku could have an Amazon Echotype smart speaker in the works, a Variety report published Monday suggests.
- Roku declined to confirm or comment on the Variety report, which is based on new job postings at Roku and other public records.
- But if true, Roku would be just the latest to join the smart speaker craze sparked by Amazon's Echo and followed by Google Home and Apple's HomePod.
- Samsung is also reportedly working on its own smart speaker.
- As it gets ready for an IPO, investors might want some assurance that Roku is well aware of the trend.
CNET News 17 hours 4 min ago
- When the moon passes in front of something besides the sun, it's called an occultation.
- Skywatchers on Monday are being treated to lunar occultations of three planets, one star and two asteroids in a single day, according to the US Naval Observatory.
- In Monday's early hours, the moon passed over Venus and the bright star Regulus.
- If you're in the Philippines, you might be able to spot the moon covering Mercury around dawn Tuesday morning.
- In addition, professional astronomers will keep an eye out for two large asteroids named Hertha and Nephthys that will also be covered by the moon.
money 18 hours ago
- Most people look only at the returns that an investment vehicle gives.
- It is, however, important to consider the taxation rules as well since this will reduce the overall returns.
- Here’s a look at some of these.
Reuters: World News 18 hours 19 min ago
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un watches the launch of a Hwasong12 missile in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on September 16, 2017.
- The Xinhua report did not directly link the drills to current tensions over North Korea.
- U.S. President Donald Trump has vowed that North Korea will never be able to threaten the United States with a nucleartipped ballistic missile.
- On Saturday, it said it aimed to reach an “equilibrium” of military force with the United States.
- The United States and South Korea are technically still at war with North Korea because the 195053 Korean conflict ended with a truce and not a peace treaty.
Reuters: World News 20 hours 7 min ago
- He was speaking after a meeting of about 14 countries that back the Syrian opposition including France, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United States.
- The U.N. Security Council has adopted a Syria transition road map through a Genevaled process.
- Meanwhile, the moderate Syrian opposition is moribund and the United States has largely stepped back from a leading role in Syrian diplomacy.
- Dutch Foreign Minister Bert Koenders said the French contact group proposal was not discussed at the Friends of Syria meeting.
- Macron’s initiative is the right way to fix this because it’s vital all five (permanent Security Council members) are involved in the process.”
BBC News World 20 hours 10 min ago
- Myanmar's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi is expected to address the country on the growing crisis in Rakhine state.
- Ms Suu Kyi had earlier claimed that the crisis was being distorted by a "huge iceberg of misinformation" and said tensions were being fanned by fake news promoting the interests of terrorists.
- She also cancelled a trip to the UN General Assembly in New York, saying she would address Myanmar on Tuesday on "national reconciliation and peace".
- In an interview with the BBC, Shwe Mann, a former general turned Suu Kyi ally, said she was taking steps to address the situation.
- On Monday Myanmar's top general blamed the Rohingya for the crisis and accused extremists of trying to form a stronghold in Rakhine state.
Reuters: World News 1 day 37 min ago
- JAKARTA (Reuters) Indonesian authorities detained 22 people late on Monday after a violent mob clashed with police at an anticommunist protest in the capital Jakarta.
- Communism is banned in Indonesia and any sympathizers are regarded with a deep suspicion and hostility, especially by nationalists and Islamists.
- Protesters threw rocks and water bottles and police fired water cannon and tear gas to disperse the crowd, according to media.
- Successive governments have refused to accept the estimated death toll figure and have refrained from apologizing.
- The military, which is accused by activists of gross human rights violations during the 1965 purge, has bristled at any reconciliation efforts.
TechCrunch 1 day 1 hour ago
- Gmail is packed with a lot of timesaving features, like Smart Replies for mobile users.
- So it’s a bit surprising to realize that Gmail will only now start to automatically convert addresses, phone numbers and contacts into links.
- The feature begins rolling out today for Gmail and Inbox on Android, iOS and the web.
- Address links will open Google Maps, clicking on an email address launches a new compose window in your email client and phone numbers dial a new call in Hangouts or your default phone app.
- As the G Suite team blog puts it, “Gmail users often exchange information like addresses and phone numbers with each other to set up meetings, introduce colleagues and plan events.
money 1 day 1 hour ago
- Mumbai:The BSE Sensex opened lower on Tuesday against the previous session’s closing.
- The shares of Tata Motors, Sun Pharma and Tata Steel rose, whereas the shares of Coal India and L&T fell.
- Around 32.35 million shares or 1.12% stake of the company changed hands in a block deal, according to a Bloomberg report.
- However, Hong Kong dollar was up 0.19%, Japanese yen 0.08%, Singapore dollar 0.06%, Philippines peso 0.06%, Thai Baht 0.05%.
- The dollar index, which measures the US currency’s strength against major currencies, was trading at 91.929, down 0.13% from its previous close of 92.047.