Daily news summaryTop News
Technology & Internet
Android Central Android 50 min 11 sec ago
- Our friends at Thrifter are back again, this time with a basic pair of Bluetooth headphones for just $10!
- If you've been considering making the move to Bluetooth headphones but don't want to spend a ton to try them out, this may be the perfect set for you.
- Right now you can pick up Mpow's magnetic Bluetooth headphones for just $9.99 with coupon code OVDVN7JA, which is a savings of $23.
- Odds are you can find sillier ways to spend $10 today, so why not give these headphones a shot!
- For more great deals be sure to check out our friends at Thrifter now!
TechCrunch 1 hour 44 min ago
- Oracle announced a slew of AIdriven capabilities across its Customer Experience Cloud Suite today that are designed to help users to deliver better, faster and more personal experiences.
- If you think you’ve heard this before, it’s because Oracle joins its customer experience competitors in offering a similar set of capabilities complete with underlying artificial intelligence, they are calling Adaptive Intelligence technology.
- To give you a sense how broad Oracle’s customer experience offering is, the suite includes Oracle Marketing Cloud, Oracle Sales Cloud, Oracle CPQ Cloud, Oracle Commerce Cloud, Oracle Service Cloud and Oracle Social Cloud.
- The company hopes to use its flavor of AI technology to bring a level of automation and machine learning to a set of tasks, fueled by the data its many customer experience clouds are collecting.
- These capabilities appear in applications across Oracle’s customer experience product set and could include additional widgets, analytics and suggestions.
TechCrunch 1 hour 49 min ago
- IBM, which has been putting a lot of emphasis on its cloud services and infrastructure lately, today announced that it is opening four new data centers in the United States.
- These new facilities — two in Dallas, Texas and two in Washington, DC — bring IBM’s total number of data centers for its cloud to 55.
- In the U.S., IBM not operates 22 data centers.
- As IBM noted in its quarterly earnings release in April, revenue from its cloud services was up 33 percent in the last quarter, with its total cloud revenue hitting $14.6 billion over the last 12 months.
- So while we don’t often talk about IBM when we talk about the major public clouds (think Amazon, Google and Microsoft), it’s definitely a major player in this business.
TechCrunch 1 hour 50 min ago
- A ‘lunar base’ is a phrase previously used mostly by Bond villains, but the Chinese and European space agencies are discussing creating exactly that in a new collaborative effort.
- The discussions were confirmed by the ESA’s Pal Hvistendahl, speaking to Bloomberg on Wednesday, and involve working together to build a humanoccupied “moon village” from which both agencies can potentially launch Mars missions, conduct research, and possibly explore commercial mining and tourism projects.
- China’s upcoming projects in space include a mission to collect samples from the moon via an uncrewed craft by the end of this year, and to also launch an exploratory mission to the far side of the moon next year, with the similar aim of returning samples for study.
- The ESA’s collaboration with China thus far include participating in the study of those returned samples, and potentially sending a European astronaut to the Chinese space station (which is currently unoccupied) at some future date.
- These plans aren’t so far along that there’s any anticipated timeline for when a moon outpost may be established and operational, but it’s an interesting new development in the ongoing international space race.
Android Central Android 1 hour 50 min ago
- The Note 7 may be the butt of every bad joke right now, but ignoring it altogether leaves a huge gap in the history of Samsung's design language.
- Many of the design traits that make the Galaxy S8+ — the company's latest bigscreened superphone — so great, can be traced back to its explosively flawed predecessor.
- The same is true on the software side, with the Note 7 debuting the "Grace" UX — a significantly refined interface that paved the way for the clean lines, rounded rectangles and brilliant whites we see on the S8+.
- And as the last Samsung flagship to feature traditional physical home keys and a 16:9 display, it's an interesting stepping stone between the old and the new.
- Check out our video comparison above, as Russell takes a look at Samsung's most infamous phone next to its latest and greatest.
TechCrunch 2 hours 12 min ago
- Twitter delivered a surprising and muchneeded positive quarterly earnings report this morning — and its finally seeing some positive moves in its stock price.
- That’s going to be important going forward, as the company needs to convince Wall Street it can stay independent and also attract talent.
- While its business is still in decline, its first quarter surprise hit comes at a critical time for the company.
- Twitter needs to keep delivering these hits if it’s going to be competitive not only to advertisers, but also to Wall Street.
- You can check out our full report on Twitter’s firstquarter earnings beat here.
TechCrunch 2 hours 25 min ago
- Google’s Pixel already boasts a formidable camera, among the best in smartphone photography.
- The resulting images Kainz produced, from both a Nexus 6P and the newer Pixel, have next to no noise, incredibly night sky tone, clear and sharp star points and foreground details and more.
- Even using only starlight, the process can produce printworthy results.
- Well, because if you’re not already deeply in love with painstaking desktop image processing, it’s going to be well beyond the average user’s patience or skill level.
- Seems like a lock for something Android engineers could focus on to make the next Pixel or Android release more enticing to users, if you ask me.
TechCrunch 2 hours 43 min ago
- This is a hugely positive sign for the company, which has seen continued bad news on the whole company operating front.
- The company said it generated $548 million in revenue with earnings of 11 cents per share.
- In the first quarter last year, Twitter generated $595 million in revenue, which means its total revenue fell 8% yearoveryear.
- Its revenue from its data licensing and other revenue is growing — up $10 million yearoveryear in the first quarter — but its advertising revenue is still in decline.
- Twitter is still in the midst of figuring out how to make its product more approachable and juice that user growth.
Android Central Android 2 hours 49 min ago
- Refurbished Note 7 will be $250 more affordable than the original.
- Samsung announced at the end of last month that it would bring back the Note 7 as a refurbished device in select markets.
- The refurbished model was spotted undergoing WiFi certification earlier this week, and a report out of South Korea suggests the phone will be available at the end of June.
- The refurbished Note 7 will feature a smaller 3000mAh battery, but the rest of the components will be unchanged from last year's model.
- The phone is likely to be called the Note 7R, and is estimated to go on sale for 700,000 won ($620), which is $250 less than what the Note 7 retailed for last year.
TechCrunch 2 hours 49 min ago
- Quovo, which has developed an api management toolkit for individual financial managers and large financial services players, has raised $10 million in a new round of funding.
- Quovo brings that same visibility to financial managers of all stripes so that they can better assess their customers’ needs and wants, according to a statement from the firm.
- The kind of allinone visibility allows for better financial planning and management, the company said.
- Quovo makes money by charging its clients a fee based on the number of accounts, number of users at the customer’s company, and the “scope of services” that Quovo offers.
- The company raised its cash from FPrime Capital and Napier Park Global.