Daily news summary
POLITICO Stories 19 min 16 sec ago
- We asked our readers to send in photos of themselves reading Playbook from the road during the month of August.
- Check out the last week of Playbook vacation photos from our readers.
FOX News 5 hours 20 min ago
- And now – in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean – Hurricane Jose is waiting.
- Where is Hurricane Jose now?
- Hurricane Jose is about 305 miles northnortheast of Grand Turk Island, the capital island of Turks and Caicos, according to the National Hurricane Center’s 11 a.m.
- Jose passed north of the Caribbean islands and Puerto Rico on Sunday as a Category 4 hurricane.
- The Netherlands navy said the situation was “better than expected” after it passed north of the islands overnight.
Android Central Android 7 hours 23 min ago
- TMobile is set to make its unlimited plan a bit more attractive.
- After introducing free Netflix to all customers on its TMobile ONE unlimited family plan, the carrier is set to take another action that is sure to impress its user base while enticing customers from other carriers.
- While we don't have all the details just yet, it's clear that TMobile is trying to move as many of its legacy customers over to TMobile ONE as quickly as possible.
- CEO John Legere said in a conference call after the recent Netflix announcement that "TMobile is in the business of selling TMobile ONE plans," as opposed to trying to bundle other types of vertically integrated content like AT&T's DirecTV and Verizon's Go90.
- Which unlimited plan should you buy?
CNET News 8 hours 13 min ago
- Hackers penetrated computeroptimization software CCleaner in a way that could have let them control millions of devices, Piriform, the company that makes the program, said Monday.
- Piriform said it estimates that 2.27 million people used the infected software, but sought to calm consumers who might be inclined to panic.
- "We resolved this quickly and believe no harm was done to any of our users," the company said in a statement.
- Avast, the Czech Republicbased security software maker that bought Piriform in July, uncovered the CCleaner attack on Tuesday.
- Piriform advised people with CCleaner v5.33.6162 or CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 installed on their machines to delete them and download new versions as soon as possible.
Android Central Android 10 hours 44 min ago
- Our friends at Thrifter post some great deals every day, and here are the best ones available right now!
- So, what are the best deals that you should be looking at right now?
- From mobile phones to general tech, home goods and much more, the team at Thrifter is scouring the web every single day to find the best deals.
- Past deals have seen the RainMachine Mini8 go as low as $135, but the next best price available now is at Amazon for $149.
- For even more great deals, and to see these discounts as they become available, be sure to check out our friends at Thrifter now!
Reuters: Entertainment News 11 hours 38 min ago
- Universal said the 2018 film “carves a new path from the events in the landmark 1978 film,” suggesting that it will ignore the events in the 2002 film.
NYT > Health 12 hours 16 min ago
- Uma mudança ainda mais drástica ocorreu em relação aos refrigerantes carbonatados: as vendas na América Latina dobraram desde 2000, ultrapassando o consumo na América do Norte em 2013, segundo a Organização Mundial da Saúde.
- Quanto isso vai custar?” De muitas formas, o Brasil é um microcosmo de como rendimentos crescentes e políticas governamentais fizeram com que a população vivesse mais tempo e com mais qualidade e também serviram para erradicar amplamente a fome.
- A cada ano, 300 mil pessoas são diagnosticadas com diabetes tipo II, uma doença relacionada à obesidade.
- Também chama a atenção, no Brasil, a habilidade política da indústria.
- Em 2010, uma coalizão de empresas de alimentos e bebidas brasileiras destruiu uma série de medidas que buscavam limitar anúncios de junk food destinados a crianças.
CNET News 12 hours 22 min ago
- We will have to wait to see how Burnham's absence from Star Trek canon so far is explained in the show.
- The show's time period makes it ripe for introducing earlier versions of characters made famous by the original "Star Trek."
- So far, we know Spock's father Sarek will appear, with actor James Frain ("Orphan Black" and "Grimm") taking over as the younger Vulcan.
- They're different from the early original Klingons (known for looking more humanlike) and the later Worfstyle Klingons with ridged foreheads and luxurious hair.
- We know from a "Discovery" trailer that Kelpiens are "biologically determined" to sense the coming of death.
CNET News 13 hours 14 min ago
- New sequel "The Golden Circle", again written by Goldman and Vaughn, oneups the original film with the introduction of a team of American spies, a new villain and even more kinetic action.
- Clocking in at nearly two and a half hours, "The Golden Circle" runs only 10 minutes longer than its predecessor, but it feels like the runtime stretches for eternity.
- "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" has all the gimmicks that made "The Secret Service" so much fun but seems to think that's all it needs.
- There's gold in the action and the iconic cast, but the unfocused story leaves them running in circles.
- "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" is in theatres in the US, UK and Australia this week.
HBR.org 13 hours 49 min ago
- Top teams need to navigate greater complexity and uncertainty than teams lower on the org chart.
- Perhaps that’s why we found the highestperforming senior teams are those that recognize and skillfully navigate three key tensions.
- Highperforming teams realize 10% greater market share and report 22% better performance when it comes to developing new products.
- The best teams do not lose the focus of the external world when getting pulled into internal transformations, change, and turmoil.
- However, the nuance that emerged from our research suggests that topperforming senior teams manage the tension between leading and directing innovation while also engaging and empowering the broader organization.